SCHOOL KITS PROJECT
Burkina Faso: in activity
Niger: Project completed in 2014
Improving the enrolment and success of children in school, makes it easier for classes to begin and is a source of motivation for students.
The Foundation has been distributing school kits to elementary school students since 2010. Distributed supplies are all required and adapted to the child’s level of education. Each kit includes notebooks, a slate, chalk, pens, pencils, coloring pencils, a geometry set, a pencil case, an eraser and a ruler. Each kit is adapted to the student’s grade level. In addition, solar lamps are given to students in CM2 to accompany them in their studies to obtain the CEP. The aim is to improve access to education and reduce the financial burden on parents. By distributing school supplies, the Foundation helps to increase school enrolment.
Through this, the SEMAFO Foundation helped to increase the gross enrolment rate from 33% to 49% and the success rate from 22% to 38% in the schools it supports with school kits between 2009 and 2015, according to the national statistics and the MDGs (Millennium Development Goals).
The feedback received from parents, students and teachers shows that this school kit distribution project greatly improves children’s performance because they have the equipment to work. In addition, this prompted many parents who had difficulty acquiring school supplies, enrolling their children in school.
- 15,158 students from 62 schools received school kits (2018-2019)
- 2,182 solar lamps were dispensed in Burkina Faso (2018-2019)
- 13,513 students from 57 schools received school kits (2017-2018)
- 87,434 school kits distributed in Burkina Faso since 2009
- 6,942 solar lamps distributed in Burkina Faso and Niger
- 12,959 students in 50 schools received school kits in Burkina Faso (2016-2017)
- Distribution begins in the Est region (2016-2017)
- 103,411 students in Burkina Faso and Niger received school kits since 2010
- 95 giant slates were distributed in 15 schools (2013) of Burkina Faso
This post is also available in: French